As a mom to two young boys, flu season during a pandemic means that I am doing all that I can to keep my family healthy! Our bodies are amazing and there are a lot of little things that we do have control over that we can do to boost our immune systems! As a holistic nutritionist, I have researched and studied how the body works and how we can keep ourselves healthy as we age and also as we move through seasons of illness. Lifestyle and nutrition and exercise play a huge role in the strength of our own immune systems so I hope that this list can give you some more ideas on how to protect yourself and loved ones from getting sick.
10 Ways to Boost Your Immune System
1. GET ENOUGH GOOD QUALITY SLEEP EVERY NIGHT & GET ENOUGH REST. Rest when you feel tired, take a nap on weekends and try to get at least 7- 8 hours of sleep every night. Sleep is so important for our health!
2. CONSUME A PROBIOTIC DIALY TO PROMOTE A HEALTHY GUT BIOME! Take a probiotic supplement and consume foods like Kombucha, Kimchi, Kefir to improve your gut biome. I use Shakeology superfoods daily in my smoothie and it contains both probiotics and probiotics.
3. CALM YOUR NERVOUS SYSTEM with YOGA AND MEDIATION DAILY. Stress wreaks havoc on our immune systems so continuing our wellness practices or beginning wellness practices are very beneficial. If you need yoga classes and meditations, Beachbody On Demand has an amazing selection and it is what I personally use for home fitness!
4. SUPPLEMENTS TO BOOST IMMUNITY: Zinc, vitamin C B12, Elderberry syrup, Echinacea, Rose Hips, Vitamin D, and Adaptogenic Herbs are all helpful! I take liquid zinc daily and also D.
5. EAT GARLIC as it is a proven immune booster and antimicrobial! Add GARLIC to roasted veggies and consume fresh garlic in home made salad dressings. I add it to everything!
6. EXERCISE DAILY and CREATE HAPPY ENDORPHINS THAT HELP THE BODY THRIVE! Moving our body daily boosts immunity and that is why I get up early every morning and workout or do some yoga before the kids wake up! I have been using home fitness for a long time and Beachbody on Demand is the best!
7. DRINK PLENTY OF WATER AND STAY HYDRATED! Aim to drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water a day so that your body can function properly. If you have a hard time remembering to drink enough water, try filling your water bottles up at night and setting alarm on your phone to remind you to chug every hour. It worked for me!!
8. ESSENTIAL OILS like clove, frankincense, lemon, eucalyptus, rosemary, cinnamon, and tea tree oil are great to diffuse in your home, carry them with you and roll on your neck and wrists throughout the day! They are powerful.
9. EAT LOTS OF FRUITS AND VEGGIES! Focus on consuming lots of fruits and vegetables that contain Vitamin C! Citrus fruits, Mango, Papaya, Berries, Bell Peppers, Tomatoes, Leafy Greens will boost your immune system on a cellular level! Studies show that vitamin C can prevent and treat infections and disease, so you can protect yourself immensely by adding in these foods! If you have a hard time eating enough greens, try using a greens powder that you can mix with coconut water, regular water or add to smoothies for an extra boost! I love Power Greens.
10. GET SOME SUNSHINE! Sunlight helps the body produce vitamin D which protects us against influenza and low levels of D are associated with higher risk of respiratory infections. In cold and winter months, take a D supplement!